Cats need balance in their lives. In the wild, they are in control of their lives and adjust to their environment in order to survive. When you move a cat into your home you take control, you become the leader of the pride, if you will.
These are 7 ways to provide your cat with a stable and safe environment to reduce stress:
- Avoid re-arranging furniture – Changes that you make to your pet’s environment create confusion and stress.
- Avoid loud sounds that disturb the cat (i.e. vacuum cleaners, blenders).
- Keep other pets and small children away from the cat for a few days.
- Try to stay at home with the cat until it has time to adjust, especially if other pets are in the home.
- Play with the cat – Playing helps get the cat used to you, as well as refine its hunting and social skills.
- If your home is large, allow the cat access to a small area of your home, then over a couple of days open doors.
- Provide the cat with a litter box and make certain the cat knows where it is.